St Ambrose Cathedral (Roman Catholic) Burial Register

St. Ambrose Roman Catholic Parish was established in Des Moines in 1851 with a church building constructed at what is now 4th and Locust in 1856. The present structure at 6th and High Streets was officially dedicated in October of 1891. St. Ambrose became a cathedral when the Diocese of Des Moines was created in 1911.

St. Ambrose Cemetery was platted “out in the country” in 1860. Woodland Cemetery (a Des Moines city cemetery) was attached to St Ambrose in 1889. Except for families who have plots from long ago in the cemetery, no burials have taken place there for many years.

This transcription of the burial register was taken from photo copies in the possession of the Des Moines Cemetery Office at Glendale Cemetery. The writing is difficult to read, and some of the names may be incorrect. If in doubt, consult the photocopy of the original at the cemetery office.

All burials were at St. Ambrose Cemetery except as noted.