IGS will raffle this 50th Anniversary Quit at the Annual Conference, 9 & 10 October, 2015. The “couch” quilt is made from 100% cotton with a cotton/poly batting and is machine washable. It is a 56 ½ by 70 ½ inch original design picture quilt with all 99 county names embroidered into the quilt.
The anniversary quilt was won by Ron Hiemstra.
|The Iowa Genealogical Society 50th Anniversary Quilt|
|Sharon House, Davenport, Scott, Iowa Together with his brother Thomas, Fred Sharon arrived in Davenport in 1882 to publish the Messenger. After his brother’s death six years later, Fred took over sole management of the paper, renamed it the Iowa Catholic Messenger and guided it for nearly fifty years, The paper contained news pertaining to the Catholic Church as well as Irish and German nationalistic writings.||Iowa State Capitol, Des Moines, Polk, Iowa The architectural design of the Capitol, rectangular in form, with great windows and high ceilings, follows the traditional pattern of 19th century planning for public buildings. A modified and refined Renaissance style gives the impression of strength and dignity combined with utility.||The Danish Windmill, Elk Horn, Shelby, Iowa Elk Horn’s Danish windmill was built in 1848 in Norre Snede, Denmark. This mill and others like it in Denmark and throughout Europe were used to grind grain into flour for farmers in neighboring communities.|
|Freedom Rock–The Sullivan Brothers, Menlo, Guthrie, Iowa The five Sullivan brothers were World War II sailors who, serving together on the USS Juneau (CL-52), were all killed in action on its sinking around November 13, 1942.||Brucemore Mansion, Cedar Rapids, Linn, Iowa Brucemore is the story of three wealthy families: industrialists, entrepreneurs, philanthropists, boosters, neighbors, and friends. The men created great fortunes: Thomas Sinclair in meatpacking; George Bruce Douglas in starch processing; and Howard Hall in manufacturing.||The French Icarian Village, Corning, Adams, Iowa The Icarian Village is the longest-lived non-religious colony in the United States. Established in 1852 and disbanded in 1898, the colony is one of the beloved things to do in Iowa.|
|Amana Colonies, Amana, Iowa, Iowa. The Amana Colonies are seven villages that were built and settled by German Pietists in 1856, who were persecuted in their homeland by the German state government and the Lutheran Church. They lived a communal life until the mid-1930s.||Arnold’s Park, Dickinson, Iowa Built in 1889, Arnolds Park Amusement Park is one of the longest operating amusement parks in the world. Located in West Lake Okoboji, Iowa, the park is one of the most treasured destinations in the Iowa Great Lakes region.||Butter Cow, Iowa State Fair, Des Moines, Polk, Iowa In 1911 J.K. Daniels sculpted the Fair’s first butter cow and was succeeded by J.E. Wallace of Florida. In 1957 Earl Frank Dutt of Illinois took over the sculpting duties. Norma “Duffy” Lyon of Toledo, Iowa, began sculpting in 1960, becoming the fourth person and first woman to sculpt the Fair’s butter beauties. Lyon passed away in June of 2011. In 2006, after 15 years of apprenticing with Duffy, Sarah Pratt of West Des Moines became the Fair’s fifth butter sculptor.|
|Boone & Scenic Valley Railroad, Boone, Boone, Iowa The original track was built in the 1890s and electrified in 1907. After massive flooding damaged the power plant (located at Fraser, Iowa) providing electricity to the line in 1954, the railroad soon turned to diesel equipment to pull its trains.||American Gothic House, Eldon, Wappello, Iowa The American Gothic House in Eldon, Iowa is famous as the backdrop of Grant Wood’s 1930 painting American Gothic.||Elkader Motor Mill, Elkadar, Clayton, Iowa The mill is well over one hundred years old yet shows no sign of settling. Although the exact date is not certain, it is believed to have been built between 1867 and 1869. The Motor Mill historic site includes four related stone structures: an inn, cooperage, icehouse and livery stable.|
|Church at United Brethren Cemetery, Jefferson Township, Madison County, Iowa||The Stockman House by Frank Lloyd Wright, Mason City, Cerro Gordo, Iowa
Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and constructed in 1908, the Stockman House is the first and only Wright-designed Prairie School house in Iowa. Its open floor plan led to the floor plan of the modern American home. The restored home is furnished with Arts & Crafts and Wright designs of its period.
|The Iowa Genealogical Society, Des Moines, Polk, Iowa The Iowa Genealogical Society’s mission is to create and foster an interest in genealogy and to aid others in researching their family history.|