All during 2015 we will celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Iowa Genealogical Society. To commemorate our anniversary, throughout the year you’ll be treated to a roundup of events focused around the theme “Sharing Family History for 50 Years.”
One event that will be held during the months of February, May, June, August, November and December is a family history story contest. The different story categories for these months and the rules that apply are below.
As we embark on this 50th year celebration, we extend our deep appreciation and gratitude to our members past and present, our volunteers and our team members. We look forward to serving you and the community for the next 50 years.
Read the stories
2015 Story Contest Rules
- All submissions must be received by mail, in person or email to email@example.com by the deadline. No exceptions.
- By submitting a story for the contest, you agree to having the story published in the IGS Newsletter, on the IGS website and any other IGS publications.
- Prizes will be given for 1st place ($25 gift card), 2nd place ($10 gift card) and 3rd place ($5) gift card.
- Length of the story must NOT be longer than 750 words.
- Stories must be typed and if submitted electronically in a word document or plain text.
- An individual may only win twice in 2015.
- A panel will judge the Stories and their decision will be final.
- One picture may be submitted with the story but will not be a factor in judging
- Author’s name, address and phone number must be on all submitted stories
- Categories are as follows:
- February– “Love Stories from Your Family Tree” Deadline Jan. 15, 2015
- May—“Mother’s Story” Deadline April 15, 2015
- June—“Father’s Story” Deadline May 15, 2015
- August—“Teachers in Your Tree” Deadline July 15
- November—“Soldier Stories” Deadline October 15, 2015
- December—“Christmas Stories” Deadline November 15, 2015